Make a complaint

Making a complaint about Wiltshire Police

If you have a complaint about the service offered by Wiltshire Police, then the Police and Crime Commissioner would like to hear about it. He has set up a new, independent Service Recovery Team to receive and manage complaints and to ensure they are handled fairly for both members of the public and the police.

If you are unhappy with the service provided by the police, you can tell us in a number of ways.


By email

By phone

By writing

The Service Recovery Team will aim to deal with complaints in a fair, open and honest way and resolve them as quickly as possible. Where complaints cannot be resolved by the team, or should the complainant request it, the matter will be formally recorded and referred to Wiltshire Police's Professional Standards Department. If the complainant is not satisfied with how they deal with the complaint, there will be a right of review to either the OPCC or the IOPC.

Who can make a complaint?

How will your complaint be handled?